Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tooting My Own Horn: Dreams Do Come True!

I am a freelance writer. I am also a nurse. As an RN, I am often frustrated with the current state of health care. Being a nurse just "ain't what it used to be", and I often wonder why the powers that be can't see that the nurses of today would better serve patients if they actually took care of them instead of the paperwork. I really despise it, and decided to do something about it when I started focusing more on my writing. I did not want writing to be merely a "hobby". I wanted it to be a job, something that I could make money doing, while working towards getting away from bedside nursing. This mind you, is not because of patients, but because of bureaucracy.

And so I did just that. I have been working night and day for months on end doing different freelance writing jobs that focus on health care. And, it has not been that lucrative, until now. I have just become the guide for About.com's COPD site and could not be happier. About.com is owned by the New York Times Company! Finally, a real freelance job that allows me to use my knowledge of health care while helping people in an online forum.

The job is perfect for me and I just wanted to tell everyone about it. I have been working for almost 3 weeks developing the site, and when it goes live, I will of course provide readers with a link to my new site. I am so excited!

In the meantime, I will not forget The Writer's Block or my other blog, RN ONline. Just remember if you are a writer, don't give up. Your dreams can and will come true!

No comments: