Thursday, March 5, 2009

Freelance Writing Tips

In case you didn't notice, I took a rather long hiatus from blogging on this, and my other site, RN ONline. But, I am back with bells on, so to speak and hope to continue providing you with great leads and tips for freelancing.

What I have found out in the last few months, is that freelance writing takes a lot of time and energy to succeed. And, unless you have the Nobel Prize-winning articulacy of William Faulkner, you are not going to find overnight success in this industry. I am still working for About.com, but luckily, in the last few months, I have acquired several new freelance clients, not without due diligence, of course. How did I do it? Here are some tips:

  • Create an attention-getting cover letter and resume
  • Subscribe to every freelance job newsletter you can find
  • Spend time each day searching and applying for new freelance jobs
  • If you get rejected, ask if there are any other projects available that may be more suitable to your style
  • Keep track of every lead you follow in a program like Excel, so if you get a response, you can respond appropriately
  • Join social networking groups to promote yourself, such as Twitter and Facebook.
  • Send everyone you know emails asking them to follow you on your social networking site
  • Never give up hope

Hope these tips help and hey, why not follow me on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/AboutCOPD

No comments: